sunnuntai 27. lokakuuta 2013

It's Been a Busy Week

Whoa, such a week regarding my points of interest. During the same day (at least when Finland's time zone is considered) we got both Nokia's and Apple's new product releases and especially due to the latter event I've been busy reconfiguring my main desktop computer (Mac mini) as I decided to take the nuke & pave route when Mavericks was introduced. For after all, my system had gone through a couple of OS upgrades with the same base installation and during that time I've installed quite a deal of apps and utilities I no longer use, so resetting the whole thing was not a bad idea and an OS upgrade is a logical point for doing that.

In addition to everything Apple released, I also finally received the Office 365 package I bought at discount from Stockmann's Hullut päivät sales. There were some issues in getting the proper Mac version, though. As I live in Finland, the office.com site assumed I want the Office suite in Finnish. Well, I don't. Now don't get me wrong, I love our beautiful language, but it's just not the preferred language of computing for me especially when something goes wrong. You just get so much more relevant search results when searching with the original English error message compared to whatever localized variant there might be. Unfortunately the office.com site lost all the platform info when I tried to switch my Office for Mac to be downloaded in English instead of the default Finnish and it offered me an exe file instead of a dmg, and I guess most of those who are still reading this blog are perfectly aware of how unlikely exes are to work in OS X. I contacted Microsoft support about the issue and they were polite and helpful and told me that they're aware of this and the website is being fixed. Unfortunately the schedule for the fix seems to be that of a large corporation, so it's still not there. Luckily I found out that Chrome has a kind of a Fiddler equivalent built in at chrome://net-internals/. So I just analyzed my web traffic when downloading the default Finnish Office from office.com, found out what's the actual download URL and switched the language code from fi-FI to en-US. At least now I could get the language I wanted in the first place. However, I'd still prefer Microsoft fixing their site instead of having to do it the hard way.

What comes to Nokia's releases, I'm not that interested in the massive phablets they released (1520 and 1320) as I just don't find the form factor to be practical for my use. Sure, I'd like a larger screen than what I have currently, but 6" is just overkill. The 2520 tablet seems otherwise interesting, but I'm still a bit wary of Windows RT. But you have to give credit to Nokia for including LTE (or any mobile data) support, which is a glaring omission in the Surface 2 and Surface 2 Pro. In fact, the most interesting part of the Nokia announcement for me was the apps that are coming to the Windows Phone platform. For after all, while 6tag is an excellent alternative, there's just something about having the official app, and we're actually getting the official Instragram for Windows Phone in the following weeks. Maybe Dropbox will finally get their app out, too?

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti