perjantai 18. lokakuuta 2013

Could I Switch? -International Edition

Could I switch? Yep, at least my blog to English. I started this blog in Finnish, but as I've recently connected my Blogger account to Google+, announcements about my blog posts are seen also by the many non-Finns who have me in their circles, so I thought it would be better if also they would have a better grasp of what I'm writing about. I'm also quite confident that all my Finnish readers (yes, both of you) speak good enough English not to care which language I'm writing in. In addition, as my blog has been focusing mainly on Windows Phone lately, I thought it would contribute more to the community if my output were in a little bit more universal language. Assuming that someone cares about what I have to say, that is.

With the formalities out of the way, let's sum up my previous Could I Switch? (Voisinko vaihtaa?) posts. I've had an iPhone as my daily driver ever since it became available in Finland with the launch of iPhone 3G and since the exclusive carrier back then was not the one my employer was using, I couldn't put my company-issued SIM into the iPhone and be done with it, but I've been carrying two phones with me ever since instead. First the company phone was a Symbian device, but we went to Windows Phone when they launched in Finland. I was interested in the fresh Windows Phone 7 platform right from the start (something that can't be said about the old Windows Mobiles), and despite the numerous disappointments (app selection, WP7 non-upgrade to WP8, etc), I actually invested my own money into upgrading my work phone to WP8 in the form of Lumia 620 since my company-issued WP7 Lumia 800 was not yet due for an upgrade. Now that I've seen the WP8 platform slowly evolve and Apple having some quality concerns as of late, I've been toying around with the idea of possibly changing my daily driver phone to be a Windows Phone 8 device. This doesn't mean that I would've decided to ditch the iPhone. As a hobbyist musician there are just way too many music creation apps that aren't and probably won't be available on other platforms anytime soon, so I'll have also iOS devices in my arsenal well into the foreseeable future. However, my everyday smartphone could be something else if a good alternative comes up, and I've been eyeing higher-end Windows Phone 8 devices lately. So this series of blog posts has been about me pondering about the issues related to possible switch.

Currently the major issue blocking the possible switch is apps, but after going through my mostly used apps, it turned out that I'm mainly missing Google apps (such as Google+) and Dropbox. Almost everything else is covered and some areas (irssi via SSH for example) are actually better on WP8. Then there's also the slow delivery for OS updates, which was tackled shortly after the blog post with the Preview for Developers program, so just a couple of weeks after finally getting GDR2, I'm actually running Update 3. Nice. Listening to podcasts in my car via Bluetooth is the only major gripe in addition to apps. At least on my Lumia 620, Bluetooth was completely broken in GDR2, but seems to be much better in Update 3. However, it's not still iPhone reliable, but since the podcasts app (WPodder) was updated in the middle of my tests, the jury's still out on that one.

If anyone reading this has had similar thoughts about switching, I'd like to hear how it turned out for you.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti