tiistai 17. marraskuuta 2015

Going Phablet - We have a winner!

My phablet ponderings are now over and I have a new phone waiting to be delivered. That phone is the Nexus 6P. It was a really close call as I was really close to buying the iPhone 6s Plus. In fact, I went to a local carrier store to buy myself a 6s+ of my own as my loan period was running out, I was impressed by the camera and the battery life and I just wanted to restore my backup to a new phone and be done with it. However, the store didn't have the 64GB version in stock and the 16GB version is a useless and a shameful joke in 2015, so I actually had to bite the bullet and disable iMessage and all that and move all my stuff to my Nexus 5.

I thought it would be a temporary transition and the next day (it was Sunday when I made my store visit) I would just call the carrier and ask whether any nearby stores have 64GB version in stock. Well, it turned out 64GB wasn't that readily available in stores but by ordering one I could get it within a couple of days. However, the 6P launch was close so I wanted to give it a little more thought before just placing an order for the 6s Plus especially when the Nexus 5 is still a usable phone even though its camera and battery leave lots of room for improvement.

So I hadn't ordered a new phone yet and I was listening to podcasts while going through some routine tasks at work when it dawned on me: My headset control button works consistently now. It was either play or pause depending on the current playback state. Every. Single. Time. I had gotten all too used to my iPhone interpreting 30-40% of the control button clicks as me wanting to activate Siri or voice control when in reality I just wanted to pause playback or resume it.

Now that I realised I wouldn't have to suffer with that unintentional Siri / voice control BS if I used Android, those almost 300€ savings if I chose the 6P started to be really enticing. However, some of the potential savings would have to be spent on additional USB C cables, but it would still leave me with over 200€ more money compared to getting the 6s Plus. As I had also tested the 6s Plus and knew what it was capable of, I thought it would be only fair to give also the 6P a try. If I prefer the 6P, then I've made an excellent choice, but if I don't I can just sell it and throw in the extra money for the 6s Plus and use it without that nagging "what if the 6P is actually better for me" feeling I'd have if I had bought the 6s Plus outright.

But now I'm just waiting for my Nexus 6P to ship. I hope it happens on the next Monday when the phones become available in Finland. A case and some Anker USB C cables (yes, I've read that Google engineer piece so I decided to buy my cables from a manufacturer with a good track record) are also on their way from Amazon. More stuff to come when the phone arrives.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti